We have had extraordinary weather this week - better than we get during many summers. It is really odd to be sitting in the garden in warm sunshine, surrounded by plants that are only just starting to come into leaf.
My husband is prone to putting things down and losing them, so I make him little bags on cords to hang the really important stuff round his neck. He recently managed to lose one of them so I am knitting a replacement. The yarn is 2 strands of left-over silk. For small bags like this, rather than use 4 double pointed needles, I just double knit it.
The garden is weeks ahead of normal for the time of year. Our garden is north facing and shaded so daffodils don't start flowering normally until the end of March. My husband looked out at the unseasonably warm weather and said 'I suppose this means we will have snow in May!' (We did actually have snow fall and lie one year on May 6th). I hope he isn't right!
This is my second go at growing a tree peony and I am so glad to see new buds on it.
And here is Sunny finding out that she no longer fits some of the corners she used to fit perfectly! Unfortunately she has hurtled round the garden at the expense of scratching her eye on a twig or something, so she had to go to the vet yesterday. She now has eye drops but is being good about them.
I needed an easy knit as I have not been too well lately so I made this hood. The pattern is Alasse Miriel Hooded Cowl. Despite what the camera thinks, the colour is a daffodil yellow. I find knitted hats a bit of a nuisance for hospital visits as I have to take the hat off and then try not to lose it, so I thought this might be a better solution.
While looking for a photo of something else I came across this picture of some padded coathangers decorated with tatting. I made them a good many years ago for a bazaar - I don't use padded coathangers myself but they were specifically requested and seemed popular.
Wondering what to knit next as a relaxation from garments, I came across an extraordinary pattern that tessallates fish, ducks and turtles. The pattern is On The Shore by Jana Huck. Yesterday I knitted a fish just to see how it worked.
I'm not sure if I would want to knit a whole blanket and at the moment I am unable to find a third good colour to go with the green and yellow yarn I have already. And the sewing up sounds as if I would find it rather a struggle these days. But I'm pretty sure I could fix that problem by knitting half creatures for the edges.
It is such a clever idea though that I just had to share!
The pattern calls for the top down sleeve to be worked in stocking stitch - but I have used the pattern stitch. The tensions are not the same so I had to adjust my pick up of stitches and decrease every 8 rows all down the sleeve. I don't mind the pattern being 'upside-down'.
Starting the cuff. To match the body I have decreased so the pattern flows correctly.