2010年10月16日土曜日

Knitting: Herringbone stitch

I'm very fond of a textured stitch which I always thought of as one of the brioche stitches, but which Mary Thomas called  Rose Fabric variation. Lately I've seen it called herringbone stitch, so I'm not really sure what to call it!

An even number of stitches.
Knit one set-up row.

Pattern
Row 1 *K1, K1below (ie. knit into the stitch below the next stitch instead of into the next stitch itself)*
Row 2 Knit
Row 3 *K1below, K1*
Row 4 Knit

I usually add an extra knit stitch (at least) to each side to keep the edges neat.


This tends to turn up nowadays as a 2 colour pattern, rows 1 and 2 in colour A and rows 3 and 4 in colour B. This is a close-up of a lap quilt in two shades of blue merino wool.

It also works in more than 2 colours.


This is a close-up of a blanket in Twilleys Freedom Spirit 100% Wool. Every Row 1 and 2 is in the same green shade that has been used for the garter stitch edging. Each set of 3 groups of rows 3 and 4 is in a different contrast colour. This is a good way of using up left over yarn.

It also works very well in a single colour.




This raglan cardigan is 100% cashmere. The buttons are ones I make from Fimo (I find they wash perfectly).

I use a garter stich hem on the bottom of the body and the outer edge of the collar as I find both points are inclined to lie better that way. The sleeves don't seem to need any edging, but I keep the cuff end of the sleeve fairly tight as I use elbow crutches. For a wider cuff a garter stitch edging might be a good idea. I added elbow patches inside the sleeves (the same stitch but worked on a size smaller needle), and large pockets inside the fronts. I can't easily carry things about because of the elbow crutches, hence the pockets, and they are inside because outside pockets have been known to catch on things. As I have what used to be called a dowager's hump, now called a kyphosis (aren't medical euphemisms wonderful!) I have added short rows to the raglan back above the armholes. Incidentally, as this stitch compresses the work vertically I decrease the raglans every 4th row to the start of the shoulders and only then change to decreasing on alternate rows.

It's a pleasant stitch to work, not difficult, but with enough interest not to be boring. And as you can see (the cardigan shown above is the third I have knitted in this stitch) I love it!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿