2011年2月20日日曜日

Lace from China



My husband had a large piece of calligraphy in an exhibition in China last autumn.

His piece won an award and one of the things he received was this mat. It is made by hand, in China, and I am intrigued by it.

The fillings of the central flower petals are needlelace, beautifully evenly worked, obviously by an expert. The bars are buttonhole stitch bars of the type common in needlelace.

 But the tape has me puzzled because it is not a woven tape. If anything it looks like side-by-side rows of very fine crochet, but I cannot think of any crochet technique that would produce just this result. I am wondering if it is done with some sort of chain stitch sewing machine. Any Chinese out there who could tell me how it is done?


1 件のコメント:

  1. I love having a peek at your interesting bits and pieces, you have some fantastic craft items. I would like to see some prize winning calligraphy too. :)

    返信削除