I need a dressing gown all the time but an outdoor coat very rarely, so I usually try to make myself a dressing gown that will pass muster as a coat on the rare occasions I need one.
The one I am showing you today is one I made a good many years ago. I managed to get a remnant of 100% camelhair fabric. I also got a hand painted sari length - pure silk - in a sale. As you can see, I was able to use the hand painted sections of the sari length to form the collar.
Then I added a length of a very simple tatted edging of four stitch rings. This both looks pretty and has the advantage of giving the edge of the collar a little extra stability.